Homefrugal living

Demolition Day…Days…Week. Part 2

Demolition Day…Days…Week. Part 2

If you want to see how we got here, please read about our Kitchen Renovation Part 1.

It was 6am on Saturday morning and The Daddy was wide awake…and that was BEFORE his 2 cups of coffee! The adrenaline was pumping, so it was time to start tearing out. Breakfast consisted of pop-tarts and orange juice, partly due to the fact everything else was outside on the porch still needing to be organized a bit better.

*contains affiliates

I highly recommend having these things on hand before you begin:
*[amazon_textlink asin=’B01L9SVTA6′ text=’face masks’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’besidethecreek-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’2e691d48-4a02-11e7-9018-c32c4ae80f05′]
*heavy duty contractor bags & big trash cans
*good gloves
*heavy shoes, NOT rubber boots (too many nails)
*safety glasses or sunglasses
*a dump trailer or similar. This we borrowed from Pete’s boss, which made hauling things off a breeze.
*[amazon_textlink asin=’B01IR1SXVQ’ text=’reciprocal jig saw’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’besidethecreek-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’a2705472-4a02-11e7-b333-1f54cf101b58′]
*circular saw
*Shop Vac, if you have access to one (or more)

The refrigerator had to come out, but of course, before it could go to the porch, it had to be cleaned out…a “good housewife” would have never let it get this bad…but oh well. Once cleaned and moved, the stove was next. Since we weren’t going to be using it outside, it was covered with a tarp to keep off any rain that may intrude.

The guys went to work inside, while us girls worked on our temporary kitchen some more. We also served as “runners”. As the day progressed, we found lots of treasures…

I’m going to get right to the photos because they really are worth a thousand words.

So the first layer we had to take down was the painted panelling.  Fairly simple process.  Dusty, but not too bad.

Boy #3 has some allergies, so right off the bat he got some of the dust in his eye, hence the bandage.  He’s fine 🙂






Behind the paneling was old sheet rock that had to be taken down.    Layer #3 was the original boards: tongue and groove boards (sometimes called “beaded board”). That’s when it really got interesting.

We were really hoping to be able to keep this part, but once we saw how bad it was, we knew it needed to come down.  It was full of holes, dirty from years of farm life, plus in places there was tons of termite residue…thankfully last year we exterminated for this, so no live ones.


End of Day 1: All appliances and counters removed, 2 layers of walling hauled out, and just for the record, that sheet is covering the hole to our bedroom…Productive day!  As the guys swept up dust and dirt, I went out to get us some supper.  No one felt like doing any kind of cooking after this day!  Here again, the Lord went before us: we bought fried chicken, plus sides, and the lady charged us half price for it!  Woohoo!  And yes, we also had cookies and milk.

The rest of the week was hit or miss with working on the kitchen.  Pete works full time farming and of course, this week they started making hay.  If you know anything about hay, you also know you have to make it when the sun shines.  And you never know what breakdowns might occur during any given day.  Monday he was able to work on pulling out the beaded board.  Thankfully we had some help.  As the boards were pulled off, one at a time, the blown in insulation also came down. 


**This picture reminds me of the movie “Real Genius” with Val Kilmer…the popcorn scene!


All this insulation had to be bagged up into heavy contractor bags.  This is also where the face masks came in handy.  Messy, messy, messy.  Included in the debris was rat droppings, bees’ nests, and mouse homes. Can I just say, “I’m soooo thankful this is getting done!”



By the end of it all, we had about 30 bags that needed to be hauled off to the dump.

Make sure you get the heaviest weight bags you can buy.  They are more expensive, but worth it.  And don’t throw them when they’re full…they will bust!


 Once all the insulation was out, we saw the real beauty: The original boards that dated back to early 1900’s.  We had heard the story about how the original timbers came from a store in Foster Falls.  They were used to build 2 houses on Conner’s Valley Road, ours being one of them.

If you look closely, you can see the holes in the boards: this is where they blew in the papery insulation.

Just for  the record, the green isn’t mold, it’s paint!  As we looked over another days’ work, we kept thinking about ‘livin’ with what’s given’-Folks have been doing this way before our time.  How precious timber was to folks and the re-using of supplies.  I mean, to take apart an old store, haul it miles away to build houses, one that is still standing, almost 100 years later-perserverence and hard work.  Solid!




I had to put this one in.  The Daddy is NOT normally this color.

And here’s me after one day.  NO, it’s not ‘space invaders’; I just didn’t like the idea of stuff falling in my hair and eyeballs…

Next came the floor:

Here again we had layers!  Started with 2 layers of pull and stick linoleum tiles, followed by some black tar stuff in places, which was covering hard oak flooring, next came tthis nice ‘retro’ stuff.  Under this was the final layer of tongue and groove boards before the ground.


The kids were great help.  As the older ones helped Pete pull up the floor boards, the youngers and myself made an assembly line out the door.  Lots of nails were involved, so heavy duty gloves were necessary.   Everybody had something to do, which made for a productive day.  And for the most part, attitudes were good.  🙂


Now for some ‘treasures’ we found: 

We found this piece of newspaper in between some of the layers.  It was dated June 3, 1958!  Exactly 59 years-to the date!  The weather for that day was very similar to what we were experiencing on this June 3rd: mid 80’s 🙂




Another gem we found was on the final layer:  hand written were the words “Va I C & C Co. Fosters Falls, Va”   With a bit of research, we found the store where our original boards came from.  Actually, it was a local coal mining business back in the late 1890’s called Virginia Iron, Coal and Coke Company.   Historical Note:

“The Virginia Iron, Coal, and Coke Company was created in 1899 and operated coal mines, iron mines, furnaces, and related businesses in Southwest Virginia throughout the early 20th Century.”

Finally-here’s some before and after pictures of the Demolition Week.  

And yes…that’s the ground, open sides, and our bedroom door..


I must confess, this open room idea makes me a little nervous.  With all insulation gone and  the ground literally right there, it makes it easier for the critters to get in!  Of course, Pete enjoys messing with me by saying, “Now it’s just easier access for them, they won’t have to dig tunnels or make holes.”  There have been a couple sleepless nights when our brains wouldn’t turn off because of the ideas running through or the sounds we think we hear.

We ended the work week with free hamburgers and hotdogs-thanks to a graduation party of one of our church members-and crawdads!  What?!  When I came home from getting the food, The Daddy was with the kiddos in the creek catching crawdads to eat.  He was bone tired from over 70 hours of farming and renovating, but was thoroughly enjoying walking in the water with his children.  Again, I was reminded how all of us are constantly making memories within our families.  They will forget the sore muscles they had after working hard, and probably not remember all the layers of dirt they had to sweep up, but they will remember catching (and eating) fresh crawdads with their Daddy 🙂  

For Part 3 read here.